Programme of studies
The academic programme “Curation: theoretical and practical approaches” is organized around theoretical and practical courses (80 ECTS) regarding the design and implementation of a museum project (10 ECTS) and a postgraduate thesis (30 ECTS), seminars and practical activities. For the completion of the programme (total 120 ECTS) and the award of the Postgraduate Diploma of Specialisation students need to attend 5 compulsory core courses and three elective courses during three semesters, as well as to design and implement a museum project. The fourth semester involves writing the postgraduate thesis.
The Programme of Studies includes the following:
|1||History of practices relating to collections and exhibitions||Compulsory||10|
|2||Cultural analyses of the exhibition phenomenon||Compulsory||10|
|3||Exhibitions and education||Compulsory||10|
|4||Museographic design of exhibitions||Compulsory||10|
|7||Exhibitions and new technologies: digital learning environments and virtual world. Issues of digital curation of collections||Compulsory||10|
|9||Design and implementation of exhibition project||Compulsory||10|
Students select three courses from the following:
• Curation of contemporary art (10 ECTS)
• Curations of historical visual art collections (10 ECTS)
• Curation of archaeological exhibitions (10 ECTS)
• Curation of ethnographic and folklore collections (10 ECTS)
• Art theory and curation discourse (10 ECTS)
• Exhibitions, History and Public History (10 ECTS)
• Landscape and environment as curatorial object (10 ECTS)
• Special issues in curatorial design (10 ECTS)
• Strategies for communication with the public/elements of the economy of culture and cultural management (10 ECTS)
• Elective course from the Programme of Postgraduate Studies, or a Postgraduate Studies Programme of by other Departments of the University of Ioannina (10 ECTS)
Attendance in courses and seminars is compulsory.
Lectures and exams are conducted in Greek, while bibliography is mainly in English. Some seminars with invited speakers are in English. After decision of the Assembly of the Department, the language of the postgraduate thesis is Greek, and the place of presentation is the University of Ioannina
For the implementation of the Postgraduate Studies Programme can participate faculty members from the Department of Fine Arts and Art Sciences of the University of Ioannina, as well as faculty members from other Departments of the University of Ioannina, while seminars and lectures are offered by faculty members of other Higher Education Institutions, museum and exhibition places professionals, scientists, artists or acclaimed scientists with specialised knowledge or experience in the thematic area of curatorial studies.
Successful attendance of the courses of each semester is needed for eligibility for the next semester. Successful completion of a semester involves failure to a maximum of one course. Failure to a course involves repeating the course.
Successful completion of the first cycle of postgraduate courses needs to have been completed in a maximum of six semesters from the first enrollment of the student in the postgraduate course.
The Postgraduate Studies Programme may change every May, after proposal by the Coordinating Committee of the postgraduate studies programme and decision by the General Assembly of the Department of Fine Arts and Art Sciences.